How do you play backgammon?
I bought the game but i don ‘t know play.
Posted by: Endlessly Thinking
Great question! Backgammon is a classic board game that is enjoyed by people of all ages. Here are the basic rules to get you started:
- The board is divided into four quadrants, each with six triangles called “points.” Each quadrant is also known as a player’s “home board.”
- Each player starts with 15 checkers of their own color. They are placed on the board as follows: five checkers on the player’s 6-point, three checkers on the 8-point, five checkers on the 13-point, and two checkers on the 24-point.
- The objective of the game is to move all of your checkers into your own home board and then bear them off the board. The first player to bear off all their checkers wins.
- Players take turns rolling two dice and moving their checkers according to the numbers rolled. The player can move one checker for each number rolled or a single checker the combined number of both dice.
- Checkers can only move to points that are not blocked by two or more opposing checkers. If a point is blocked by an opposing checker, it cannot be landed on by your checker.
- If a player rolls doubles, they get to move twice the number of spaces shown on the dice. For example, if a player rolls double sixes, they can move four checkers six spaces each or one checker 12 spaces.
- If a player lands on a point with only one of the opponent’s checkers, that checker is “hit” and must be placed on the bar at the center of the board. The hit checker must then re-enter the game from the opponent’s home board.
- The game continues until one player bears off all their checkers or until the game is ended by mutual agreement.
These are the basic rules to get you started. As you play more, you’ll learn more advanced strategies and techniques. Good luck!